The MPAA has announced that Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice has been rated PG-13, which is not a surprise. It barely qualifies as newsworthy. PG-13 is the gold standard for a Hollywood blockbuster. G and PG turns off potential customers, R turns them away, and NC-17 may as well go back to being “X” at this point. WB wanted PG-13 and they got it, and they got it for most of the suspected reasons [via Box Office Mojo]: “intense sequences of violence and action throughout, and some sensuality.”
I’m sorry, what was that last one?
To give you a basis for comparison, Man of Steel was rated PG-13 for “intense sequences of sci-fi violence, action and destruction, and for some language.”
The Dark Knight Rises also was rated PG-13 for “some sensuality” (along with “intense sequences of violence and action,” and “language”), so “sensuality” means, in MPAA-ese, “There’s fucking, but you’re not going to see any skin beyond what you’d see at the beach.”
So assuming that someone in Batman v Superman is getting lucky, who do you think it’s going to be? Can we open the floor the juvenile arguments about whether or not Superman can have sex with a human woman or only with Wonder Woman? Will Batman stop scowling for more than ten minutes and turn on the charm? Or is the sex (I’m sorry; “sensuality”) in reference to non-superhero characters?
We’ll find out when the film opens on March 25, 2016.
Click here to catch up on all our recent Batman v Superman coverage, or check out the links below.
- ‘Batman v Superman’s Zack Snyder Calls Marvel’s ‘Ant-Man’ the “Flavor of the Week”
- ‘Batman v Superman’ Images Feature Clark Kent, Wonder Woman, and Brooding Bats
- New ‘Batman v Superman’ Rumor Teases Scoot McNairy’s Role
- New Hi-Res ‘Batman v Superman’ Images Feature Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent
- ‘Batman v Superman’: New Images Released; Zack Snyder Talks ‘Suicide Squad’ Connection