One of my most anticipated films of this year is writer/director Scott Cooper‘s (Crazy Heart, Out of the Furnace) upcoming drama Black Mass. The film stars Johnny Depp as notorious crime boss Whitey Bulger, who simultaneously worked as an FBI informant and committed horrible crimes throughout the Boston area for decades. As you can see in the awesome looking trailer, Depp looks fantastic in the role and with a supporting cast made up of Benedict Cumberbatch, Joel Edgerton, Dakota Johnson, Juno Temple, and Jesse Plemons, I think we’re in for something special when Black Mass hits theaters September 18th.
Last week at CinemaCon I got a few minutes with Scott Cooper before seeing the trailer during the presentation. He talked about the time frame of the movie, how the project came together, his first cut, if Black Mass could premiere at the Toronto Film Festival or Telluride, his next project, and more.
Here’s what he had to say followed by the full list of questions.
- What will he be premiering at CinemaCon?
- How much was he involved in the first teaser trailer?
- How did the project come together?
- What’s the time frame of the movie?
- How long was his first cut?
- Are they thinking about premiering at any film festivals like TIFF or Telluride?
- How close is he to being done with the film?
- Songs or score?
- Says he’s going to start writing a project as soon as he finishes Black Mass.
- What’s the worst job he had before getting to Hollywood?