One of the many films to world premiere at this year’s Toronto International Film Festival was the feature directorial debut of Bryce Dallas Howard, Dads. The documentary (which sold to Apple before the festival began) is a celebration of what it takes to be a father in today’s world through anecdotes and wisdom from comedians such as Judd Apatow, Will Smith, Jimmy Fallon, Neil Patrick Harris, Kenan Thompson, Jimmy Kimmel, and Ken Jeong.
Shortly before seeing the film, I got to sit down with Bryce Dallas Howard at the Collider studio at TIFF. She talked about her long history wanting to direct, how at 19 she had a list of filmmakers she wanted to study under, her love of cinematographer Anthony Dod Mantle, why she fought to shadow her father, Ron Howard, on the set of Solo, her love of emerging technology, why she cried watching Jurassic Park for the first time, her episode of The Mandalorian, and much more.
Check out what she had to say in the player above and below is exactly what we talked about.
We also need to send a big thank you to our presenting sponsor Nordstrom Canada and supporting partners Marriott Bonvoy and Ciroc Vodka for supporting the Collider Lounge at the 2019 Toronto International Film Festival and helping to make these interviews happen.
Bryce Dallas Howard:
- How this has been an incredible year for her.
- Did she shadow her dad on the set of Solo and what was that like?
- How her dad was concerned about having her on the Solo
- How when she was 19 she had a list of filmmakers she wanted to study under.
- Her love of cinematopher Anthony Dod Mantle.
- The advice her dad gave her about learning on a film set.
- What is Dads about?
- Why her family ended up in her movie?
- Who was the toughest person to get in the movie?
- What is she going to direct next?
- Why she is attracted to emerging technology.
- How impressed she was watching Jurassic Park for the first time.
- She shares a great story about her dad trying to figure out filming the weightless scenes in Apollo 13.
- When will we find out more about her episode of The Mandalorian?