WARNING: This interview contains major spoilers for Outlander season 1 and also includes a tease of what’s to come in season 2! If you have not seen up to episode 11, “The Devil’s Mark,” you might want to skip this for now.
After posing as a healer at Leoch, butting heads with the War Chieftain of Clan MacKenzie and almost receiving a death sentence at a witch trial, Claire’s (Caitriona Balfe) finally come clean and revealed to Jamie (Sam Heughan) that she’s from the future. While in New York City promoting the Outlander mid-season premiere, I got the chance to sit down with Balfe to discuss the challenges of filming that especially pivotal scene of the show.
On top of that, we also discussed some of her favorite moments from the second half of season 1, what put her at ease when tackling the nudity and sex scenes, the period wardrobe items she wish she could steal and wear today, and more. You can catch all of that as well as Balfe’s brief tease of what’s to come in Outlander season 2 in the video interview below. Outlander airs on Starz on Saturday at 9pm.
- 00:05 – What’s to come in the second half of season 1.
- 00:30 – Balfe is particularly excited for fans to see episodes 9, 11, 14, 15 and 16 .
- 01:13 – On the nudity in the show, trusting Ronald D. Moore and knowing that those scenes are integral to the story.
- 02:51 – Outlander is NSFW.
- 03:03 – Which period costume would Balfe actually want to wear today?
- 04:25 – On the gorier moments in the show and the whipping scenes.
- 05:34 – Preparing for the scene during which Claire finally tells Jamie she’s a time traveler.
- 06:38 – What’s to come in Outlander season 2.