On this episode of Collider Movie Talk, John Campea, Kristian Harloff and Mark Ellis discuss the following:
- Henry Cavill comments on Man of Steel 2
- Inside Out takes #1 at the box office
- Possible Prince Charming movie
- New Hunger Games Mockingjay – Part 2 character posters
- Andy Garcia and Michael K Williams joining Ghostbusters
- Michael K Williams joining Assassin’s Creed
- Will Movie Talk come to NY Comic-Con?
- Why are boxing movies so similar?
- …and a few things more!
Follow us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ColliderVideo
Follow us on Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/ColliderVideo
Follow John: http://www.twitter.com/JohnCampea
Follow Kristian: http://www.twitter.com/KristianHarloff
Follow Mark: http://www.twitter.com/5150Ellis
Follow Ashley: http://www.twitter.com/AshleyMova
As the online source for movies, television, breaking news, incisive content, and imminent trends, Collider Videos is more than an essential destination; it’s the homepage for young men obsessed with staying ahead of the curve.
Buy movie tickets, get theatre and showtime information now:
1) When Warner Bros and DC announced their upcoming slate of films, many film fans noticed that there were no standalone Batman or Superman films included. In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Superman actor Henry Cavill said the following: “There’s plenty of time for individual Superman sequels. He’s a tough character to tell. People like the darker vigilante. I think it speaks to the human psyche more easily rather than the god-like being that we can’t really understand. Once we have a more expansive universe we can delve more into the character of Superman and hopefully tell more stories.” Kristian what do you make of Cavill’s comments?
2) Yesterday we reported that Jurassic World had taken the #1 spot at the box office again for the 4th week in a row while Pixar’s Inside Out become the highest grossing film of all time never to be #1. Well you can throw all that out. The weekend results have been adjusted and Inside Out ended up coming in at #1 with $29.8 million dollars compared to Jurassic World’s $29.2 million, a difference of less than six hundred thousand dollars. John, do these results actually change anything?
Disney has picked up a spec script on a live-action Prince Charming movie. According to THR, a Prince Charming film is still far from a sure thing as Disney is currently working on two other live-action adaptations in Alice Through the Looking Glass due out in 2016, and Bill Condon’s 2017 re-imagining of Beauty and the Beast starring Emma Watson and Dan Stevens. Kristian, buy or sell that Disney WILL make a live Prince Charming movie?
With the final Hunger Games film just a few months away, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2 has released a new set of character posters featuring the war painted faces of the series primary stars. Katniss goes off on a mission with the unit from District 13 as they risk their lives to stage an assassination attempt on President Snow who has become increasingly obsessed with destroying her. The mortal traps, enemies, and moral choices that await Katniss will challenge her more than any arena she faced in The Hunger Games. Mark, buy or sell these new character posters?
As many of you know an all new, female-driven Ghostbusters film is on the way and a few new cast members have been added. Actors Andy Garcia (Ocean’s Eleven, The Godfather Part III) and Michael K. Williams (Boardwalk Empire, Inherent Vice) have been joined the cast which already includes Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon, Melissa McCarthy, Leslie Jones, and Chris Hemsworth. The film currently has a release date of July 22nd, 2016. Kristian, buy or sell the addition of Garcia and Williams to the new Ghostbusters?
Speaking of actor Michael K Williams… this is a good week for him. On top of being added to the new Ghostbusters film, the Boardwalk Empire star has also reportedly joined the upcoming video game adaptation of Assassin’s Creed, joining Michael Fassbender and Marion Cotillard. John, buy or sell the addition of Williams to Assassin’s Creed?
MAIL BAG (Brought to you by AMC)
Gustavo Velez write: Hey guys! I love that the whole group is back together. Almost as if the avengers broke off and got back together for another round. I bought tickets to New York Comic Con this October and it’s my first time going on a Comic Con outside of where I live. Are any of you planning on going to this year’s NYC Comic Con? Thanks and good luck with the new set of Collider!
Desmond Bonner writes: Love the shows (Heroes, Mail Bag, Jedi Council) and have been watching for almost two years now. My question is about the two boxing movies coming out Southpaw and Creed. I feel like they are basically the same movie. A Boxer has to overcome some obstacle and in the end win/lose in a climatic fight. Do you think fighter movies are too predictable? Million Dollar Baby kinda broke the mold and a film hasn’t been as grand as that in a while for the genre. What do you think will happen to the genre moving forward?