At this year’s Saturn Awards, Guillermo del Toro told me Criterion would be releasing his debut feature Cronos on both DVD and Blu-ray this December. While I assumed he was telling me the truth, it’s always nice when you get the story officially confirmed. And that’s what happened a few minutes ago as Criterion just sent over the info on their December releases and they’ve included all the details on their version of Cronos – including cover art by Mike Mignola!
Hit the jump for the front and back cover and all the details:
Here’s what they sent over. Needless to say, this is a must own Blu-ray.
CRONOS – BD & DVD
Guillermo del Toro (Hellboy, Pan’s Labyrinth) made an auspicious, audacious feature debut with Cronos, a highly unorthodox tale about the seductiveness of the idea of immortality. Kindly antiques dealer Jesús Gris (Federico Luppi) happens upon an ancient golden device in the shape of a scarab, and soon finds himself possessor and victim of its sinister, addictive powers, as well as the target of a mysterious, crude American named Angel (a delightfully deranged Ron Perlman [Hellboy]). Featuring marvelous special makeup effects and the unforgettably haunting imagery for which del Toro has become world-renowned, Cronos is a visually rich and emotionally captivating dark fantasy.
page 2 of 3
1993 • 92 minutes • Color • Stereo • 1.78:1 aspect ratio
DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
• New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Guillermo del Toro and cinematographer Guillermo Navarro, including optional audio with the film’s original Spanish-language voice-over introduction as well as DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray edition
• Two audio commentaries, one featuring del Toro and the other producers Arthur H. Gorson and Bertha Navarro and coproducer Alejandro Springall
• Geometria, an unreleased 1987 short horror film by del Toro, finished by the director in 2010, plus a new video interview with him
• Welcome to Bleak House, a video tour by del Toro of his office, featuring his collectibles and personal work
• New video interviews with del Toro, Navarro, and actor Ron Perlman
• Video interview with actor Federico Luppi
• Stills gallery
• New and improved English subtitle translation, approved by del Toro
• PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Maitland McDonagh and excerpts from del Toro’s notes for the film
TITLE: Cronos (BLU-RAY EDITION)
CAT. NO: CC1945BD
TITLE: Cronos (DVD EDITION)
CAT. NO: CC1944D