Now playing in theaters is Brad Bird‘s Tomorrowland. The film stars George Clooney as Frank, a disillusioned boy-genius who teams up with the optimistic and scientifically-inclined Casey (Britt Robertson) to discover the secrets of the enigmatic place known as “Tomorrowland”. The film also stars Hugh Laurie, Tim McGraw, Judy Greer, Kathryn Hahn, Keegan-Michael Key, and Thomas Robinson, and was written by Damon Lindelof and Brad Bird, from a story by Lindelof & Bird & Jeff Jensen.
At the recent Los Angeles press day I landed an exclusive video interview with Damon Lindelof. He talked about what they learned from test screenings, deleted scenes, how they had an alternate ending, Easter eggs, his most memorable day on set, the fanboy experience of working with people he idolizes like Brad Bird, and why he hasn’t seen any footage besides the trailers for J.J. Abrams’ Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
- :04 – What did they learn from test screenings that impacted the final version of the film? Talks about finding the right balance of exposition.
- 1:57 – Are there a lot of deleted scenes for the Blu-ray? Says there are a lot of deleted scenes and the original ending.
- 2:30 – Talks about the alternate ending.
- 3:12 – Says there’s an “alt-dimension” version of Casey that present a different version of that character than what’s in the movie. It shows the evolution of where they ended up.
- 3:46 – Are there Easter eggs people should look for in the film or in the Disneyland Park?
- 5:12 – Says they focused the Easter egg hunts into the comic book shop scene.
- 6:00 – What was his most memorable day on set?
- 8:11 – Talks about the fanboy experience of working with people he idolizes like Brad Bird.
- 8:52 – Says he hasn’t seen any footage of J.J. Abrams’ Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Says he doesn’t want to see behind the curtain and will watch the movie when it’s ready.