Ever since Drew Goddard directed Cabin the Woods, I’ve been waiting for him to helm another movie. While it almost happened with The Martian and Sony’s The Sinister Six, circumstances have conspired to keep him from the director’s chair and as a big fan of his work, it’s been frustrating waiting to see his Cabin in the Woods follow-up come to fruition.
Thankfully when I sat down with him to talk about writing The Martian, he revealed he’s hard at work writing what could be his next directing gig! Besides talking about his next movie, he discussed working with Ridley Scott, extended cuts, writing a script based on a book, being part of Netflix’s Daredevil and contributing to season 2, and so much more.
Loaded with amazing visuals, a brilliant script by Drew Goddard, great performances from the entire cast, and science that makes sense, Ridley Scott’s The Martian is one of those special movies that needs to be seen on the biggest movie screen, in the loudest theater possible. While I saw a lot of movies at the Toronto International Film Festival, The Martian was one of my favorites. For more read Matt’s review.
Based on Andy Weir‘s best-selling novel of the same name, the film stars Matt Damon as Mark Wattney, an astronaut stranded alone on mars in the aftermath of a disastrous evacuation. With only the remaining supplies, his scientific genius and a great sense of humor to subsist on, Wattney must find a “science the shit out of this” to survive on the red planet and find a way home. The Martian also stars Jessica Chastain, Kristen Wiig, Kate Mara, Michael Pena, Jeff Daniels, Chiwetel Ejiofor and Donald Glover.
- What needs to happen for him to step behind the camera and direct a movie again?
- Talks about how he can be too selective in picking projects.
- Says he’s writing his next project and hopes he can convince someone to let him make it.
- What was his experience like writing the script? Did he know it was special when he was writing it?
- Talks about the balance between sticking to the source material and translating it into a movie.
- Did he get to see Ridley’s extended cut in the editing room?
- Ridley Scott is known for director’s cuts, does he think there will be one for The Martian?
- How much time does he spend doing uncredited script-doctoring?
- AfterDaredevil, what would it take to get him involved with a Marvel movie?
- Talks about still being involved with Daredevilin Season 2.
- Does he see himself being involved in Defenders?
- Does he have a lot of scripts in a drawer somewhere that he’s waiting to make?
- How much has he been able to geek out about bringing Punisher into DaredevilSeason 2?
- What else is his working on now? Does he like to work on multiple things at a time?
- Does he have a title and genre decided for his next movie?