Eighteen years after the release of Gattaca, Ethan Hawke and Andrew Niccol are back together for a film called Good Kill. Hawke leads as Tom Egan. He used to work overseas as an Air Force pilot, but now he’s stateside piloting drones from an air-conditioned bunker just outside of Las Vegas. Even though the job ensures he’s safe and sound, and gets to go home to his wife and kids every night, he actually longs for the fear that comes with flying into combat.
I recently had the opportunity to sit down with Hawke to discuss reteaming with Niccol, the importance of having real drone pilots on set and if his step-brother, who’s a green beret in the military, has seen the film. Check out what Hawke had to say about all of that, his experience working at Burger King and the possibility of making a Boyhood sequel in the video interview below. Good Kill is currently playing in select theaters and hits VOD on May 22nd.
- His worst job before acting.
- On the military lingo he learned while making Good Kill.
- Has Hawke’s step brother seen the film; did he give Hawke any pointers before making the movie?
- On reuniting with Andrew Niccol.
- Getting tips from real drone pilots on set.
- Is there any chance we’ll actually get a Boyhood sequel?