Here are some of the highlights from Fox’s newly released 2015-2016 schedule:
- Mondays will feature male-oriented series that will be promoted during Fox’s Sunday NFL coverage. Specifically, despite only ok ratings and not much acclaim for its first season, Gotham is acting as a lead-in to new Fox series Minority Report. (Later, The X-Files will take Gotham‘s spot and lead into new series Lucifier).
- Fox is going all-new with their Tuesday line-up; a bold choice, but it’s anchored by Ryan Murphy‘s latest creation at 9 p.m. with Scream Queens.
- Wednesdays will be Empire‘s night, where it’s staying at its same time and date (no surprises there — the Fox executives know if it ain’t broke don’t fix it). The show will return for 18 episodes split up into 2 seasons.
Bones and Sleepy Hollow have apparently worked well together as a pair (of low-rated shows), but this move to Thursdays also reveals that Fox is not looking to compete with ABC’s powerhouse Shondaland lineup.
- Fox has relocated all of its unscripted series to Friday nights, including MasterChef. Also on the unscripted front, it’s worth noting that this is American Idol‘s final season, which will reportedly serve as a long goodbye.
- There’s also a new investment in live series, like the 3-hour Grease Live event on January 31st.
- On a conference call this morning, Fox execs also confirmed that there is another iteration of 24 in the works, but it’s way too early for any details yet.
- The most interesting (and best, in my opinion) news from Fox is that they are newly dedicated to airing their series with limited interruptions throughout the season. Basically, that means airing shows on consecutive weeks without breaks in between. The fall season will still take a holiday break on a cliffhanger before returning in the spring, but it also means that mini-breaks and reruns (which really hurt ratings after the shows return) will mostly be done away with during those main fall and spring runs. The first show that this will really affect is New Girl, which will run for almost 22 consecutive weeks. Eventually, the network hopes to shift to no interruptions during each show’s run. (Hallelujah!)
You can check out the full schedule here:
Following are the FOX fall 2015 primetime schedule, as well as social media information for and synopses of the new series:
FOX FALL 2015 SCHEDULE
(All Times ET/PT)
8:00-9:00 PM GOTHAM
9:00-10:00 PM MINORITY REPORT (new)
8:00-8:30 PM GRANDFATHERED (new)
8:30-9:00 PM THE GRINDER (new)
9:00-10:00 PM SCREAM QUEENS (new)
8:00-9:00 PM ROSEWOOD (new)
9:00-10:00 PM EMPIRE
8:00-9:00 PM BONES
9:00-10:00 PM SLEEPY HOLLOW
8:00-9:00 PM MASTERCHEF JUNIOR
9:00-10:00 PM WORLD’S FUNNIEST
7:00-10:30 PM FOX SPORTS SATURDAY: FOX COLLEGE FOOTBALL
7:00-7:30 PM NFL ON FOX
7:30-8:00 PM THE OT
8:00-8:30 PM THE SIMPSONS
8:30-9:00 PM BROOKLYN NINE-NINE
9:00-9:30 PM FAMILY GUY
9:30-10:00 PM THE LAST MAN ON EARTH
BORDERTOWN (new), THE FRANKENSTEIN CODE
(new), THE GUIDE TO SURVIVING LIFE (new), LUCIFER (new) and THE X-FILES (new) join the schedule in 2016, as do returning series AMERICAN IDOL XV, BOB’S BURGERS, HELL’S KITCHEN and NEW GIRL, among others.