As is the fashion these days, news of F. Gary Gray’s deal to direct Furious 8 for Universal Pictures came courtesy of social media. Taking a page from franchise star and producer Vin Diesel’s playbook, Gray confirmed the deal via a recent post on his Facebook page. We’ve yet to hear a reaction from Diesel himself – he’s currently in the middle of promoting The Last Witch Hunter – but it shouldn’t be long before he follows up; hopefully we’ll also find out how his mom feels about the whole thing.
Gray is coming off a big success for the studio with the NWA biopic Straight Outta Compton, so this deal goes a long way in maintaining an already lucrative partnership between the two entities. The relationship – and the promised payday – likely went a long way in convincing Gray to helm the next installment in the hugely popular Fast and Furious franchise, rather than say jumping ship and heading to Marvel to direct their Black Panther picture. Gray’s also previously worked with Diesel on A Man Apart, as well as star Dwayne Johnson in Be Cool, and Jason Statham in The Italian Job. This really sounds like a solid fit all around, and you know the fans are going to be coming out in droves. Could Furious 8 be another record-setter? You can bet Universal is banking on it.
Take a look at what Gray had to say on his Facebook page below:
For more on Furious 8, be sure to get caught up on our recent coverage provided at the following links:
- ‘Straight Outta Compton’ Director in Talks to Helm ‘Furious 8’
- ‘Furious 8’: F. Gary Gray Rumored to Be Frontrunner for Director’s Chair
- ‘Furious 8’ Director Circus Continues; Vin Diesel Puts Himself in the Mix
- ‘Furious 8’: Does Vin Diesel Want Rob Cohen in the Director’s Chair?
- Vin Diesel Talks ‘Furious 8′ and Future Films; Calls Them the “Last Trilogy”
- ‘Furious 8’ Director Search Proving Difficult; James Wan Was Implored to Return