Guillermo del Toro is one of my favorite directors working today, and at Comic-Con this year I got to interview him not once, but twice! After getting to sit down and interview him about Crimson Peak, The Hobbit, and more, I spoke to him again for the Crimson Peak press line where we talked further about his upcoming gothic romance. For those who are unfamiliar with the film, it takes place in a massive house that “breathes, bleeds…and remembers”, and revolves around an aspiring author who is torn between the love for her childhood friend and the temptation of a mysterious soldier.
During our conversation, we also talked about how Comic-Con offers a unique opportunity to connect with the audience, his fascination with loss, how that theme applies to Crimson Peak, how the film is influenced more by literature than movies, and more. He also provided another update on the status of Pacific Rim 2 and where the sequel will take viewers.
Watch the interview below. Crimson Peak opens October 16th.
Guillermo del Toro
- 0:16 – On getting to play to the crowd at Comic-Con.
- 1:10 – His fascination with loss.
- 2:14 – How the theme of loss applies to Crimson Peak, and plays into the classical gothic romance.
- 3:28 – How Crimson Peak is influenced more by literature than films.
- 4:35 – Update on Pacific Rim 2