Yesterday we got our first official look at three cast members in costume from Quentin Tarantino’s upcoming Western The Hateful Eight, and today the first images from the film reveal the entire lineup in all their bundled-up glory. The story takes place a few years after the Civil War and revolves around a group of traveling strangers who are forced to take refuge together at a bar when a snowstorm hits the Wyoming landscape. This being a Tarantino film and all, we can safely assume the characters don’t become best friends by the movie’s end.
These new images reveal the full “Hateful Eight”, and they are as follows:
- Kurt Russell as John Ruth, a “mean sonuvabitch” bounty hunter on his way to Red Rock with a murderous woman in tow.
- Samuel L. Jackson as Major Marquis Warren, a former Union officer who lives in the Wyoming mountains.
- Jennifer Jason Leigh as Daisy Domergue, an infamous outlaw taken prisoner by Ruth.
- Michael Madsen as Joe Gage, a cowboy.
- Tim Roth as Oswaldo Mobray, a Brit and new hangman of Red Rock.
- Walton Goggins as Chris Mannix, a Southerner who claims to be the sheriff.
- Bruce Dern as General Sanford Smithers, a former Confederate general.
- Demian Bichir as Bob, a Mexican man who’se taken over innkeeper duties at Minnie’s while the owner is away.
We also know that Channing Tatum has a role in the film, but he’s not amongst the titular eight, so his character will likely be a surprise or possibly a cameo-esque role like his Jump Street co-star Jonah Hill in Django Unchained. If you know who he is from reading the leaked script, please keep it to yourself and avoid spoiling others in the comments.
Take a look at the first images from the film below, courtesy of EW. The Hateful Eight was shot on 65mm and will be released in 70mm theaters later this year.
Here’s the official synopsis for The Hateful Eight:
In THE HATEFUL EIGHT, set six or eight or twelve years after the Civil War, a stagecoach hurtles through the wintry Wyoming landscape. The passengers, bounty hunter John Ruth (Russell) and his fugitive Daisy Domergue (Leigh), race towards the town of Red Rock where Ruth, known in these parts as “The Hangman,” will bring Domergue to justice. Along the road, they encounter two strangers: Major Marquis Warren (Jackson), a black former union soldier turned infamous bounty hunter, and Chris Mannix (Goggins), a southern renegade who claims to be the town’s new Sheriff. Losing their lead on the blizzard, Ruth, Domergue, Warren and Mannix seek refuge at Minnie’s Haberdashery, a stagecoach stopover on a mountain pass. When they arrive at Minnie’s, they are greeted not by the proprietor but by four unfamiliar faces. Bob (Bichir), who’s taking care of Minnie’s while she’s visiting her mother, is holed up with Oswaldo Mobray (Roth), the hangman of Red Rock, cow-puncher Joe Gage (Madsen), and Confederate General Sanford Smithers (Dern). As the storm overtakes the mountainside stopover, our eight travelers come to learn they may not make it to Red Rock after all…