With Inside Out now on DVD and Blu-ray, I went to San Francisco last month for the home release press junket. For those who somehow missed the worldwide hit, the film takes place inside the mind of an 11-year-old girl, Riley Anderson (Kaitlyn Dias), where the personifications of her emotions run the show. When Riley is uprooted from her home in the Midwest so her father can take a new job in San Francisco, Fear (Bill Hader), Sadness (Phyllis Smith), Anger (Lewis Black), Disgust (Mindy Kaling), and Joy (Amy Poehler) try to help her cope with the sudden change.
I got the chance to sit down with Kaitlyn Dias and Kyle MacLachlan, who voices Riley’s dad, and during our conversation, we talked about their favorite parts of the movie, how they recorded their roles, the kinship Dias felt with her character, and MacLachlan on returning to Twin Peaks. We also play the movie-themed version of “Would You Rather”.
Watch the full interview below. Inside Out is available on 3D Blu-ray, Blu-ray, DVD, Digital HD, and Disney Movies Anywhere.
Kyle MacLachlan and Kaitlyn Dias
- 0:35 – Favorite Part of the Movie
- 1:02 – How they recorded their roles.
- 1:37 – The kinship Dias felt with Riley based on her proximity to character’s age.
- 2:10 – MacLachlan on returning to world of Twin Peaks and working with David Lynch again.
- 2:33 – Movie version of “Would You Rather”