With Universal and Illumination Entertainment’s CG/live-action family film Hop opening this weekend, I got to interview James Marsden for our partners at Omelete. In the film, Marsden (Enchanted) stars as a slacker who finds himself taking care of the Easter Bunny (voiced by Russel Brand) after he accidentally injures him. Hop also stars (or features the voices of) Kaley Cuoco, Gary Cole, Elizabeth Perkins, David Hasselhoff, Chelsea Handler, Hank Azaria and Hugh Laurie. You can watch some clips here.
During the interview, Marsden talked about acting against nothing as he mostly worked with an animated character, the physicality of the role, what’s his karaoke song, how much fun did he have doing an episode of Modern Family, and did Enchanted or Saved by the Bell: The New Class help him get ready for this role. But the best part of the interview was the beginning. The reason is I was the first one to talk to Marsden and almost as soon as we started, Brand started screaming at him from the other side of the studio. As they scream back and forth, you can hear them playfully argue. It’s very funny and definitely worth watching.
- We start off by joking around
- Has he seen the bunny in the junket bag
- Russell Brand was very close and they started screaming at each other. It’s kind of awesome
- When filming, was he acting against nothing and did they have Russell Brand’s dialogue playing on set
- The physicality of the role
- Did Enchanted or Saved by the Bell: The New Class help him get ready for this role?
- What is his song when doing karaoke
- How much fun did he have doing an episode of Modern Family