I absolutely loved Jon Favreau’s The Jungle Book. If you haven’t yet seen the film, the best way I can describe it is that it’s Favreau’s Avatar – meaning a film that transports you to another time and place and something you absolutely want to see in 3D. As most of you know, the film is based on the classic animated film and focuses on Mowgli (Neel Sethi), a boy raised in the jungle by wolves, who must go on the run when he becomes hunted by the jungle’s cruel overlord, Shere Khan (voiced by Idris Elba). Loaded with incredible visual effects that have to be seen to be believed, The Jungle Book is the type of film all ages can enjoy. The film also features the voices of Bill Murray, Ben Kingsley, Lupita Nyong’o, Scarlett Johansson, Christopher Walken, Giancarlo Esposito, and Emjay Anthony.
With The Jungle Book now available on home video, I recently sat down with Jon Favreau for an exclusive video interview. He talked about what he’s excited for people to see on the Blu-ray, what Disney hooks you up with when your film does this well, the status of The Jungle Book sequel, his version of The Lion King, and directing the pilot for Seth MacFarlane’s Orville TV series. While details over Orville are still pretty scarce at this point, the show is said to be set 300 years in the future where it follows the adventures of the Orville — “a not-so-top-of-the-line exploratory ship in Earth’s interstellar Fleet. Facing cosmic challenges from without and within, this motley crew of space explorers will boldly go where no comedic drama has gone before.”
MacFarlane, who wrote the pilot script and serves as executive producer, will also star in the series as Ed, the captain of the Orville. He’s joined by Adrianne Palicki, who plays Ed’s ex-wife and the newly appointed first officer of the Orville, and Scott Grimes, who plays Ed’s best friend and the Orville’s pilot. Peter Macon and J Lee also star.
Check out what Favreau had to say in the video above and below is a list of what we talked about.
- What was the dream for what The Jungle Book would do at the box office?
- What does Disney buy you when your film almost makes a billion dollars?
- Talks about how Disney hooks him up when he goes to Disneyland and Tokyo Disneyland.
- The technology used on Jungle Book.
- What is he excited for people to see on the Blu-ray?
- What’s the status of The Jungle Book 2 and The Lion King and how will he handle the tone?
- Will he direct The Jungle Book sequel?
- How would he compare his versions of The Lion King to The Jungle Book?
- What can he say about Seth MacFarlane’s Orville TV series?