With writer-director Ben Younger’s (Boiler Room) boxing drama Bleed for This opening this weekend, I sat down with Katey Sagal a few days ag to talk about the film. If you’re not familiar with this incredible true story, after winning two world title fights and shooting to stardom, Vinny “The Pazmanian Devil” Pazienza (played by Miles Teller) was in a brutal car wreck that left him with a broken neck and was told that he may never walk again. Against all odds and doctor’s orders, renowned trainer Kevin Rooney (played by Aaron Eckhart) agrees to help Vinny return to the ring, just a year after the accident, for what could be the last fight of his life. Bleed for This also stars Katey Sagal and Ciarán Hinds as Pazienza’s parents. The film was produced by Bruce Cohen and Martin Scorsese (full list of producers here).
During the interview, Sagal talked about the challenges of only having 24 days to make the movie, how she didn’t believe it was a real story after reading the script, if she misses playing Gemma on Sons of Anarchy, her work in ABC’s Dirty Dancing remake and what fans can expect, and a lot more.
Check out what she had to say in the video above and below is exactly what we talked about followed by some images.
- Does she miss playing Gemma on Sons of Anarchy?
- Talks about the challenges of making a film like this in just 24 days.
- On how after she read the script she didn’t believe the story was true.
- Deleted scenes talk.
- Talks about her work in the ABC’s Dirty Dancing and how she sings and dances in the remake.
- Talks about her upcoming projects.