Now playing in L.A. and NYC is director James Kent’s Testament of Youth. The film is based on Vera Brittain’s World War I memoir of the same name and stars Alicia Vikander as Vera Brittain and Game of Thrones star Kit Harington as her fiancé, Roland Leighton. As the film progresses, you see how the onset of war shatters the characters’ youthful dreams and demolishes an entire generation. It’s a powerful look at the First World War and I recommend checking it out when you can. Testament of Youth also stars Taron Egerton, Emily Watson, Hayley Atwell, Colin Morgan, Joanna Scanlan, Alexandra Roach, Jonathan Bailey, Anna Chancellor, Nicholas Le Prevost, Nicholas Farrell, Dominic West and Miranda Richardson. For more on the film, watch the trailer.
The other day, I landed an exclusive video interview with Kit Harington. He talked about making Testament of Youth, how the project evolved, wearing a wig in the film, what surprised him about the time period, Game of Thrones, what made him fall in love with movies, who he was obsessed with as a kid, future projects, and more.
Finally, if you missed Harington playing “Save or Kill”, watch it here.
- 00:19 – How familiar was he with the source material before he got involved? Says he knew it very well from studying the book in school.
- 1:14 – How much did the project evolve from the time he received the script to the finished film?
- 2:14 – Was this the role he cut hair for? Says he actually wore a wig for this film.
- 3:04 – Did the wig make him more anonymous to Game of Thrones fans?
- 3:51 – Was there anything that surprised him during his research into the time period? Says he was interested the courtship rituals of the time.
- 5:23 – Talks about how much has changed for women in the 100 years since World War I.
- 6:15 – Does he know when he starts filming Game of Thrones again? Says no one on the show can answer that question because they’ve gone so off books.
- 6:58 – Says just because he has the Jon Snow hair and beard doesn’t mean he’s coming back for next season. He just happens to like that look.
- 7:17 – How does he deal with the recognizability of being on such a massively successful show?
- 8:23 – What movie made him fall in love with movies?
- 8:29 – What actor or actress was he obsessed with as a kid?
- 8:58 – What’s his favorite bad movie?
- 10:05 – What’s coming up that he’s excited for?