Now playing in theaters is Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising. Director Nicholas Stoller (Forgetting Sarah Marshall) returns to helm the follow-up, which finds Seth Rogen, Zac Efron, Rose Byrne, Ike Barinholtz, and Carla Gallo all reprising their roles as they battle an opponent even more formidable than a fraternity: a sorority. Written by Rogen, Stoller, Evan Goldberg, Andrew Jay Cohen, and Brendan O’Brien, the film also stars Chloe Grace Moretz, Selena Gomez, Dave Franco, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Kiersey Clemons, Beanie Feldstein, and Lisa Kudrow. For more on the very funny sequel, read Matt’s review or watch the trailer.
Shortly after seeing the film I sat down with Nicholas Stoller for an extended video interview. He talked about the resemblance between the Neighbors 2 poster and the Captain America: Civil War poster, how the sequel came together, the various storylines that were pitched while developing the screenplay and how one had a Blade Runner influence, why he doesn’t like extended cuts, how Zac Efron is game for anything and a lot more. In addition, Stoller talked about his upcoming eight episode Netflix show and his upcoming animated feature Storks.
Watch what he had to say in the video above and below are the questions I asked.
- The resemblance between the Neighbors 2 poster and the Captain America: Civil War
- When plans for a sequel got serious.
- The amount of versions of the movie that have existed.
- Getting everyone back for the sequel and how one draft had a parody of Blade Runner.
- Working with Zac Efron and how he’s game for any jokes.
- The length of the first cut and his problem with releasing extended cuts.
- If has more muscle with the studio thanks to his past success.
- How he’s working with Netflix on an upcoming series where he’ll direct all 8 episodes.
- The death of the adult, talking drama.
- Bringing his movie tone to Netflix.
- The freedom the streaming services are bringing to filmmakers versus the experience of seeing a movie in theaters.
- His upcoming projects.
- Talking about Storks.