With Pacific Rim Uprising now playing around the world, a few days ago I sat down with Scott Eastwood to talk about the sequel. Unlike most press junkets that take place an at area hotel, Universal and Legendary went all out for Pacific Rim Uprising and built some amazing set ups using props from the movie for the interviews. It was like stepping inside a location from the film. While it’s expensive and time consuming, I wish more studios did stuff like this for their event films because it helps to sell the magic.
During the interview, Eastwood talked about what got him into acting, being inspired by Denzel Washington, his process on set, how he got involved in Pacific Rim Uprising, what it’s like getting ready for a director meeting for a role, what he “borrowed” from set, crafting the action scenes, and more. In addition, he also talked about his next movie, Nick Cassavetes’ The Manuscript, which will also star Morgan Freeman.
As most of you know, Steven S. DeKnight directed the sequel when Guillermo del Toro decided to focus on The Shape of Water. The Pacific Rim sequel stars John Boyega as Jake Pentecost, the son of Idris Elba’s character from the first movie, and the story takes place 10 years after the events of Pacific Rim. The Jaeger program has now evolved and expanded into a massive global defense force after the Battle of the Breach, which comes in handy when the Kaiju threat returns. The film also stars Cailee Spaeny, Tian Jing, Adria Arjona and Rinko Kikuchi.
Check out what Scott Eastwood had to say in the player above and below is exactly what we talked about followed by the official synopsis.
- What was it that made him want to become an actor?
- How Denzel Washington was a huge inspiration.
- How has his process as an actor changed throughout his career?
- Does he like shooting the rehearsal?
- How did he get involved in Pacific Rim Uprising?
- What is it like getting ready for a director meeting?
- How they built a number of practical sets on Pacific Rim Uprising.
- Which set does he wish he could take home?
- Did he “borrow” anything from set?
- Talks about crafting the action scenes.
- When people meet him what do they always want to talk to him about?
- Talks about his next movie The Manuscript by Nick Cassavetes which will also star Morgan Freeman.