The central team that will form the core of Dean Israelite’s Power Rangers movie is slowly coming together, colorful costume by colorful costume. We previously announced that Naomi Scott has joined the new action film as “The Pink Ranger” but now the team captain has joined the fray. Newcomer Dacre Montgomery has been cast as “The Red Ranger”, who has been the de facto leader of the Mighty Morphin’ groups in the past.
Scott has quite a few TV and movie credits to her name, with the biggest being this year’s The Martian and The 33. Montgomery, on the other hand, is a relative unknown, with only a short film and a TV movie to his credits. While Scott was on the reported short-list for The Pink Ranger, Montgomery’s name was not included in that same list for The Red Ranger, so he must have shown the casting folks something special to land the role.
Take a look at the announcement from the official Power Rangers Instagram account below:
Though the official character names for the Red and Pink Rangers have yet to be revealed, we previously reported that they would be Jason and Kimberly respectively, just like they were in the original TV series. Since this film follows the events of the current television series Power Rangers Dino Charge, some are speculating that this movie will bring the original characters and origin story back to the big screen.
Fore more on Power Rangers check out our coverage provided at the following links:
- Exclusive: ‘Power Rangers’ Movie Villains, Timeline, and Opening Scene Revealed
- ‘Power Rangers’ Movie Casts Its Pink Ranger
- ‘Power Rangers’ Reboot Actors Shortlist Revealed
- Exclusive: ‘Power Rangers’ Movie Character Names and Descriptions Revealed
- First POWER RANGERS and GODS OF EGYPT Title Treatments Revealed
- POWER RANGERS Director Aims to Deliver a Fun, Joyful and Grounded Movie