While we all patiently wait for the trailer that was shown at Star Wars Celebration Europe or any new trailer at all, Disney has released the first Rogue One TV spot. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the upcoming spinoff, it focuses on a band of rebels stealing the plans for the Death Star. No official plot synopsis has been released beyond that, but we do know a lot more about the characters and their relationships.
As for this TV spot, it unfortunately doesn’t have much in the way of new footage and it’s pretty much a condensed version of the first trailer, which is fine. I’m a little surprised to see any TV spots for the film considering that it’s release is still over five months away, but after this extraordinarily weak summer, perhaps it’s better to look far in advance to see what’s coming down the pipeline. Rogue One may not be the biggest film of the year (that honor already went to the hype building up to Batman v Superman), but it’s definitely one of the biggest. The main question is if people want to show up for a spinoff-prequel or if they only want the main Star Wars saga.
Check out the new Rogue One: A Star Wars Story TV spot below. The film opens December 16th and stars Felicity Jones, Diego Luna, Ben Mendelsohn, Donnie Yen, Jiang Wen, Mads Mikkelsen, Alan Tudyk, Riz Ahmed, and Forest Whitaker.
For more on Rogue One, be sure to get caught up on our latest news provided at the following links:
- ‘Rogue One’: Filmmakers Confirm Han Solo and Hayden Christensen Won’t Appear
- ‘Rogue One’: Prepare for Rebellion with Images of the Costumes Plus Official Character Descriptions
- New ‘Rogue One’ Character Revealed at Comic-Con
- Comic-Con 2016: ’Rogue One’ Jyn Erso Action Figure Revealed
- ‘Rogue One’ Panelists Get Casual in Star Wars Celebration Behind-the-Scenes Images