(This was originally posted before the announcement of Bryan Fuller’s Star Trek: Discovery on CBS All Access, but the points are still valid.)
I’ve recently been re-enjoying episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation (on BBC of all channels). And we constantly hear that old properties are being rebooted all the time, especially Star Wars. Then it occurs to me that the (next) next generation of Star Trek, or Fourth Gen if you prefer, is going to happen eventually. It’s all but inevitable. But what isn’t inevitable is whether any Fourth Gen will survive beyond the first season. Enterprise and even The Original Series itself never made it beyond four seasons to the modern standard of seven. But these are some cogent suggestions to make sure the same doesn’t happen to Star Trek: The Fourth Generation, whatever form it may take, whenever it ever arrives.
Check out our suggestions for the new Star Trek TV series below, and for more on all things Star Trek, be sure to take a look at our recent coverage:
- The Collider Podcast: Episode 55 – ‘Star Trek Beyond’
- ‘Star Trek Beyond’ and the Kiss Unseen Around the World
- ‘Star Trek’: William Shatner, Brent Spiner and More on ‘Trek’ as a Beacon for Today’s Troubled Times
- New ‘Star Trek’ Series Titled ‘Star Trek: Discovery’; Watch a Test Flight of the New Ship
- ‘Star Trek Beyond’: What Did You Think?