While we continue to pick over every single Star Wars: The Force Awakens TV spot, there’s more than one way to sell a film. For example, Verizon has now released an ad where Chewbacca and BB-8 are demonstrating why Verizon has a “better network”. It’s an easy way to promote the film and the cell phone company, associates their competitors with the First Order / the Dark Side, and everyone gets to see BB-8 be adorable.
I’m actually a little surprised we haven’t seen more BB-8 in the commercials, although that could certainly change. It’s like Abrams said, “I want R2D2, but make him like a puppy.” It’s a robot puppy from the new Star Wars movie. That kind of combination prints money.
Check out the new Star Wars: The Force Awakens ad below because even though it doesn’t contain any new footage from the film, we are all powerless to BB-8’s cuteness. Star Wars: The Force Awakens opens December 18th.
For more on Star Wars: The Force Awakens, peruse our recent links below:
- ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’: New TV Spot Boasts More Action Sequence Footage
- ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ IMAX Poster Stares into Jakku’s Sun
- ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’: J.J. Abrams and Mark Hamill on the Skywalker You’re Looking For
- ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’: Andy Serkis’ Villainous Character Details Unveiled
- ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ Doesn’t Need Your Silly Awards Race