Director/co-writer J.J. Abrams said that with the release of the most recent Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer, we had seen the last of the fully-fledged trailers for the film. It turns out that’s not necessarily true. The domestic theatrical marketing campaign is complete, but internationally it appears that new trailers are still rolling out, and one for Japan actually unveils a solid amount of tantalizing new footage.
While this trailer doesn’t give away spoilers per se, it does hint at certain plot points that have been thus far only rumored or surmised. There’s also some seriously striking imagery involving Adam Driver’s Kylo Ren and another principal character, which could be a major point in the film.
I honestly could’ve gone without seeing this new international trailer, but if you’re looking to soak up every bit of new footage you can find before the film hits theaters, this cut will do the trick. Again, it’s not explicitly spoilery (Abrams knows how the internet works; I doubt he’d approve), but there’s more “plot” in this trailer than there was in any of the domestic trailers we got.
Check out the new footage in the trailer below, via Disney Asia. The film also stars Harrison Ford, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Carrie Fisher, Domhnall Gleeson, Gwendoline Christie, Mark Hamill, and Max von Sydow. Star Wars: The Force Awakens opens in theaters on December 17th.
For more on Star Wars: The Force Awakens, peruse our recent links below:
- Terminally Ill Man Makes Dying Wish to See ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’
- ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ Character Posters Reveal the Cast
- ‘Star Wars’ Prequel Trilogy Trailer in the Style of ‘The Force Awakens’ Is Actually Kind of Great
- Movie Theaters Banning ‘Star Wars’ Masks and Lightsabers for ‘The Force Awakens’
- Disney Keeping ‘Star Wars’ Spoilers Under Wraps by Delaying Book Release
- Sweded ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ Trailer Displays a Lot of Charm