Arriving on Blu-ray and DVD October 9 is Universal’s Werewolf: The Beast Among Us. Directed by Louis Morneau (Joy Ride II, Hitcher II: I’ve Been Waiting) and starring Stephen Rea, Steven Bauer, Ed Quinn, Nia Peeples, Guy Wilson, Adam Croasdell and Rachel DiPillo, Werewolf: The Beast Among Us was filmed on location in Romania and Transylvania last year. The film is set in a 19th century village, where “a young man studying under a local doctor joins a team of hunters on the trail of a wolf-like creature.” With Universal celebrating its 100th Anniversary, Werewolf is the start of a new chapter of horror in their home video department.
Last year when Werewolf was shooting outside Bucharest, I got to visit the set and talk with most of the cast and over the next week I’ll be posting the videos. For today’s interview, I’ve got Steven Bauer. We talked about how he got involved in Werewolf, what it’s like filming in Romania, how he prepared for the role, Scarface, how 1941’s The Wolf Man still sticks with him today, and a lot more. Hit the jump to watch.
A monstrous creature terrorizes a 19th Century European village by moonlight and a young man struggles to protect his loved ones from an unspeakable scourge in Werewolf: The Beast Among Us, Universal Studios’ all-new addition to its time-honored legacy of classic monsters. During his studies with the local doctor (Rea), Daniel (Wilson) witnesses the horrific consequences of werewolf attacks. Watching as the beast’s fearsome reputation draws bounty hunters, thrill seekers and charlatans to the tiny town, Daniel dreams of destroying the ruthless predator. So when a mysterious stranger (Quinn) and his team of skilled werewolf hunters (Bauer, Croasdell) arrive to pursue the monster, he offers to join them, despite his mother’s (Peeples) protests. But it soon becomes clear that this creature is stronger, smarter and more dangerous than anything they have faced before. As casualties mount and villagers see their neighbors transformed into ravening monsters, the townsfolk take up arms against each other to find the true identity of the werewolf. Amid the hysteria, Daniel begins to suspect he’s closer to his target than he ever dreamed.
Steven Bauer Time Index:
- 0:10 – Steven Bauer reveals his go-to karaoke songs, including the YouTube footage.
- 0:45 – Bauer talks about fan reactions to seeing him and their “stupid questions” regarding his Scarface character.
- 2:20 – Bauer comments on how he got involved with Werewolf: The Beast Among Us and whether he hoped his character would transform.
- 3:55 – On location in Romania, Bauer talks about the current set he’s on and how it fits into the film.
- 5:10 – Bauer talks about his character in Werewolf: The Beast Among Us.
- 6:35 – Regarding the script and how it informs upon his character, Bauer talks about his backstory and previous creature encounters.
- 7:10 – Bauer comments on how 1941’s The Wolf Man still sticks with him today.