TED Talks are wildly popular, and TEDx events are the natural outgrowth of that popularity. For those who don’t know, TEDx are “local, self-organized events” that can include speakers, performances, exhibits, and interactive sessions.
If you’re in the Los Angeles area, a TEDx event you definitely won’t want to miss is TEDxHollywood. This year’s theme will revolve around “Technology vs. Humanity” and has a diverse array of speakers to explore that theme. The lineup includes:
- Jon Favreau – director, actor, writer, producer
- Aloe Blacc – Grammy-nominated singer, songwriter
- Tyler Oakley – YouTube personality, New York Times best-selling author
- Abbie Boudreau – Emmy Award-Winning TV journalist
- Alexis Glick – CEO GENYOUth Foundation
- Hao Li – CEO & Founder Pinscreen, USC Professor
- Leslie McGuirk – Children’s Book Author + Illustrator
- Marque Cornblatt – Founder + CEO Aerial Sports League (formerly “Game of Drones”)
- Ryan Cummins + Matt Pohlson – Co-Founders of Omaze
- Sean Hill – Poet + Activist
That’s a diverse lineup of talent, and more speakers will be announced soon, so it should be and exciting day filled with the kind of fascinating ideas that TED has become known for.
If you’re interested in checking out the event, it’s at UCLA’s Freud Playhouse on Thursday, September 15th. You can get discounted tickets with the promo code TEDxFriend at checkout. Click here to get tickets.
Here’s what TEDxHollywood is about:
TEDxHollywood is an independently organized event licensed by TED and will focus on entertainment themes. The event will take place at UCLA School of Theater, Film and Television’s Freud Playhouse, located in Los Angeles, California.
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, selforganized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TEDTalks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x=independently organized TED event.
The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized.