This week on the podcast, I start things off with a little Emmy post-mort grumbling (here’s Adam’s great article about Game of Thrones vs Mad Men that I reference) before getting into broadcast pilot season chatter: what the ratings mean (or don’t mean), as well as how Netflix uses their data to keep playing the ratings game to their advantage. I then wrap things up with a broadcast pilot cheat sheet from this first week of premieres. And, you can find the full reviews of almost all of the shows mentioned here.
Intro — 0:00
Emmy Awards post-mortem — 1:32
- Surprises, disappointments, and why HBO dominates.
Broadcast pilot season — 8:33
- How successful the networks have been
- How ratings work, and what they mean for new shows
- The shifting paradigm for ratings and show cancellations
- What it means that Netflix can now pinpoint when a show has you hooked
Broadcast pilot cheat sheet: Week 1 and Outro — 24:36
- A short rundown of what to watch and what to skip from the week that was.