Showrunners Shawn Ryan and Eric Kripke wanted to make a time-travel series that’s also what they called a “throwback to a big, fun Spielberg movie.” They believe they’ve done that with Timeless, NBC’s upcoming sci-fi show about a trio who travel back in time to save history from a group of criminals.
During an interview with Collider during San Diego Comic-Con, the showrunners likened their joint effort to Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jurassic Park, and even Robert Zemeckis’ Back to the Future. What’s different are the “real, grounded and interesting characters,” and the elements of comedy and romance.
Actors Matt Lanter, Malcolm Barrett, and Goran Visnjic were also present to discuss everything from their characters to the special effects to their first Comic-Con experiences. “I would say we definitely have aspirations to be the biggest, most epic-looking show on network television,” Kripke says.
Watch the video in the player above, and see below for some of the highlights.
- 0:35 — Ryan and Kripke explain how they got together to create ‘Timeless.’
- 2:11 — Lanter, Barrett, and Visnjic describe their characters in the show.
- 5:09 — Kripke discusses the surprise chemistry between the actors, and likening the show early Steven Spielberg films, such as ‘Close Encounters of the Third Kind.’
- 6:25 — Ryan discusses the advancements of visual effects that allowed the creators to enhance Timeless.
- 7:06 — Kripke says the aspiration is to make ‘Timeless’ “the biggest, most epic-looking show on network television.”
- 7:29 — Lanter and Kripke on building “entire historical structures” and the difficulties of the practical and visual effects.
- 8:20 — Kripke recalls building the set for the pilot episode, which is about the assassination of Abraham Lincoln.
- 9:18 — The showrunners answer whether or not the characters will ever travel to the future, and the consulting historian to help fully develop these time periods.
- 10:14 — Ryan, Barrett, and Lanter on the history buff of the group and what time period they’d like to visit.
- 11:57 — Visnjic on the experience of a first Comic-Con and the most awkward moment he’s seen at the convention.
- 12:35 — Kripke and Barrett on their favorite highlights of Comic-Con.
- 13:09 — Ryan on seeing a few “unintentional Vic Mackeys” at the Con.
- 13:44 — Timeless is a big fun, swashbuckling adventure through time, a throwback to a big fun Spielberg movie.